Bosnia’s ERS, Hidroelektrane na Drini to sign concession deal for Buk Bijela HPP shortly, Investors
A consortium led by the power utility of Bosnia’s Serb Republic will sign a 50-year concession deal for the construction and use of the Buk Bijela hydro power plant on the river Drina in the coming days, local media reported on Tuesday.
Buk Bijela will be Bosnia’s largest HPP in terms of installed capacity, reservoir size and mean outputs, the energy ministry said in a statement earlier this year. The HPP is expected to produce some 332.3 gigawatt-hours of electricity per year.
Elektroprivreda RS and local hydropower complex Hidroelektrane na Drini are expected to invest some 382 million marka in the construction of the HPP, daily Nezavisne reported, adding that the concession deal has already received the government’s approval.
Following the signing of the concession deal, the two companies will have a year to perform preparatory works and to set up a company to manage the construction of the HPP, the daily added.
The Buk Bijela HPP project was postponed several times due to scrutiny by environmentalist organisations and NGOs from Bosnia and Montenegro who fear it will destroy the canyon of the Tara river which flows between the two countries.
The Serb Republic is one of Bosnia’s two autonomous parts, the other is the Muslim-Croat Federation.
- June 14, 2023 The Serbian Institute for Critical Materials launches a regional mining platform for knowledge exchange
- April 24, 2023 Without sustainable mining, there is no renewable future
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- August 13, 2023 Environment South East Europe Watch temporarily suspends the activity
- August 9, 2023 Regional Coalition Aims to Protect Up to 400 Kilometres of Rivers Across Southeast Europe
- August 9, 2023 Meeting Serbia’s Energy Needs: A Smart Siting Map for Solar Power