Bosnia: Ekotim suing the Federal Ministry of Environment and Tourism, due to poor environmental permit for TPP Banovici, NGOs
Increased environmental permitting as a solution to environmental problems? Quality or quantity?
These days we are witnessing frequent appearances representatives of the Federal Ministry of Environment and Tourism in which their licenses are presented as the solution to all environmental problems. Usually in his statements they makes claims that are professionally written permission based Environment Impact Study that have been prepared by eminent local institutions.
One example is the case of the issuance of additional decisions on emission limit values for Thermo Power Plant Banovici.
The analysis of the environmental permit for TPP Banovici, we noticed that in the document lacks the emission limit values, on which we have pointed in letter from October to the ministry for environment and tourism. In response, the ministry issued a supplemental decision again did not prescribe limit values in accordance with the rules devised by the same ministry. Since the solution does not allow the right to appeal, we used the only option for the correction of these errors through a lawsuit.
As we strive to law enforcement and the correct application of the existing legal solutions, “Ekotim” used the possibility of a remedy in cases in administrative proceedings requested proper and consistent application of the current laws and regulations.
Although the website of the ministry pointed out that the increased number of issued environmental permits in the last period, their quality is questionable, and we wonder whether this is a small capacity of the ministry, too many demands, workload or incompetence of employees, and occur such omissions.
It is not the first time that the issue of environmental permit mistake, and on this testifies to the fact that some permits are issued too quickly, or to allow investors to exchange the previous plans, which can have lasting negative effects on the environment. Is it a way to avoid public participation, the application of laws and regulations in force, or to go in favor of investors?
Environmental permit as useful and good tool, can actually result in the reduction of pollution, but only if it is done well and mid-career, in accordance with our laws and if you consistently applied.
- June 14, 2023 The Serbian Institute for Critical Materials launches a regional mining platform for knowledge exchange
- April 24, 2023 Without sustainable mining, there is no renewable future
- March 25, 2023 Europe revives mining to reduce dependence on the import of key raw materials
- March 8, 2023 Calcium Carbonate Industry, Reshaping the Market Growth, Serbian supplier to match European industrial demand
- August 13, 2023 Environment South East Europe Watch temporarily suspends the activity
- August 9, 2023 Regional Coalition Aims to Protect Up to 400 Kilometres of Rivers Across Southeast Europe
- August 9, 2023 Meeting Serbia’s Energy Needs: A Smart Siting Map for Solar Power